Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Week 3-Thoughts of Empowerment Through Capture

I have been reading a book called Facts, Artifacts and Counterfacts for another class and I came across a term that really stood out for me: empowerment. A lot of the time people go through this world without society hearing their voice, hearing their opinion. But looking at this class, this week we are doing audio recordings, I thought about how empowering it is to capture your thoughts, either on print, audio, visual, etc. Once you create a product, something which you have made with your own two hands, you can get your voice across, let the whole world hear what you have to say. I think youtube does that in a way. Though I don't watch any videos with people talking I do watch MMA highlight reels that have been crafted with a message: to highlight a fighter who should be considered, who is worthy to be watched and thought of. Anyways, that is all I have to say right now. Maybe you got a piece of information from this posting. I know I sure did.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you Wade. People who post videos on YouTube have something to say, even if it is just highlight reels. People create AMVs do so with a certain and style and flair that create a voice for them. I think that in usual cases people post things on YouTube because they do have something to say; even if it is just, "this movie was cool so I want to share it" or "Look at how cute my cat is." It also says something that comments are allowed to be made about the video, as opposed to it just being archived with no watcher involvement whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! good point. That social interaction (validation! someone read/saw/understood/liked/was moved by something I wrote/created/remixed) is CRUCIAL. And Web 2.0 can provide it, even when teachers often can't/don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, like your comments and explanations, Wade. The project I have decided to work for our class final project will consist of a voice-over by my youngest as he will watch himself playing four sports in his senior-year of high school. This will be a CD project. I believe this gift to him will be empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Wade, I hadn't thought about it like that but it really makes a lot of sense. Places like YouTube give people a place to be heard--one that they might not have had otherwise been able to express. What is the author of the book you're reading? I am interested in taking a look at it!

    PS...hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete