Monday, February 16, 2009

Week 5-First Interview completed

I finished my first interview this Saturday morning at Mr. Bowles gas station. It really went well for a first time, but I did not have many questions for him. I need to do research on conducting interviews so that next time I can better direct the flow of information. The interview that I did on Saturday ran for forty minutes, so I am going to try to work with the material that I have on audacity sometime this week. But what I got out of the interview was very good and hopefully I can shape it into a composition where a point is made. I think that will be the real challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Good work, Wade!

    Sometimes cutting through the work is a huge part of the deal. It's kinda confusing, especially when you are dealing with a large amount of text. Try to outline (or something like that) so that you can remember the different things during the conversation (otherwise you might have to listen to the whole thing every time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Wade!

    Just a caution: Remember from the recommendations in Fieldworking: You want good information from the interview, but you don't want to try too hard to direct the flow of information. Let it come, even if it comes to you uneven and somewhat rambling. You want those ears and eyes open to witness and recognize the unexpected. That'll be difficult to do if you are looking/hoping for the participant to say particular things (we all look/hope expect particular things; that's the burden of the ethnographer who is also a human and expecting/wanting a cool/interesting project).

    This is going to fascinating! I'm so glad you are taking this on!

    ReplyDelete