Thursday, April 30, 2009

Week 15-Slaughterhouse

I was able to go to get permission to film in a slaughter house this week. I tried to go film the butcher at Brookshires but it was a no go. There was too much bureaucratic red tape to get through so I gave up on that. But I called a local slaughterhouse near my hometown and told them that I was doing a school project and they were okay with it. In fact I had a guy show me the ropes by boning a few sides of hog right in front of me, plus show the killing floor to me. They were very nice and informative in showing me this art which is rapidly dying in America today. I plan to go back for another poem which I plan to write call "The Killing Floor" sometime after finals week. They said they could show me killing a beef to go with my poem. However I am not sure at this point if I want to go through with it since I think the point of the poem would be lost in the graphic nature of the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment