Thursday, March 12, 2009

Week 8-Discussion Over Readings and Project

The thing that stood out to me about the readings this week were the fact that they all discussed in some detail the interconnectivity that happens when one works on a multimedia project. Because it is multimedia there usually has to be some kind of multitasking with other people on how to get all the different mediums to work. And that is the beauty of such an undertaking. When you reach out and get help from other people you involve them not only in your project, but with your life as well. And by doing so individuals from across the spectrum of disciplines can meet and relate with each other, thus enriching their perspectives from each others skills and experiences. I mean, look at me for instance. I am working on a project that involves people who have never used a computer, to those who can make their own movie videos. I lay between the two drastic opposites, but I know I will succeed by working with each side equally. That is, I will get my research information with those who are low-tech , while composing my piece through the lens of people who know what they are doing with technology, much more so than I. And by working together people will be that more comfortable working with others as well as sharing memories and ideas.

My project has been taken on by a lot of ideas on my part. I was at one time thinking of doing a creative piece about my hometown, set with images of memory that involve my childhood, ambient music, and a creative narration, a sort of poem that relates it all. But I am still interested in doing my project over the gas station, except I will discuss the impact it has had on our town and its people, along with interviews with those who come by to fill up and gossip. These are just a few of my ideas right now and I am not sure which way I am going to go with them. I am going to do more research during Spring Break since I will be home in Oklahoma and that will give me some time to look at it all and think on the premises.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, Wade! I'm so glad you are looking at the gas station project, though the creative piece would have been pretty darn powerful as well!

    You might also consider how this might lend itself to an audio project. We have some many marvelous examples out there. I can see how a video might be appealing because you'd be able to show the town/people, but you could also do that with an audio project that presents images alongside the audio--still, stationary, reflective.

    Either way would be powerful, I think. The only difference with the video is that you'd need SO much more footage of good/useful images to make it work. How might it work for the project to focus on the voices describing their position and the impact of the gas station, with you narrating to bring it togehter (ala This American Life)? Either way sounds marvelous to me.

    Looking forward to learning more about what you get from folks during your visit.

    ReplyDelete